Vintage straw hat restyle 7-24-2015
First, I removed all of the trim from the brim of the hat, which disintegrated as I removed it. Then I removed the daisy and the yellow ribbon trim. From there, it was easy to begin unraveling the bias horsehair, since the stitches were rotten and came apart easily. I unraveled it until the crown of the hat measured 3 inches deep, which is my favorite and most flattering crown height. I topstitched the crown to reinforce it.
I used offwhite tulle mesh for the base of the new brim (Simplicity 8268) and zigzagged a wire as usual around the edge. Using the mesh was an act of desperation since the fabric stores here dont sell offwhite interfacing. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise! It is virtually invisible in the finished product. Happy!
Finished hat is embellished using a mesh scrunch band and a big purple flower that I made using 2 purchased silk flowers. I took one flower apart and hot glued it to the other, petal by petal, then included some of the greenery. Ready for this Sunday but I havent picked out what to wear it with. Something purple, for sure.